Monday, February 07, 2005

Signs if triviality

The political blogging and linkage of this site with my other sites has been a discouragement to write anything that might not be "substantial" in nature. It's actually unfortunate in many ways because it makes me feel a bit constricted. On a similar note, I was a little put out recently when I discovered that the opinion editor on the Western Front doesn't allow first person style in commentary. I'm not sure I understand why. I've seen many columnists use that style and without it, it's hard not sound like a news article.

Bah, humbug

Life is good lately. The feeling of walking on a tight-rope over the Grand Canyon is stronger than it's ever been, and like the actual thing, it's quite a rush. This quarter has been markedly different than the one previous. To put it in perspective: I am sitting in the library right now on a checked-out laptop. This shouldn't be all that strange because it was one of my favorite places to write last quarter. Unfortunately, this is the first time I have done it since fall. That's really sad. Will you please bow your head with me for a little cry? It's this infernal reporter's schedule which keeps me from sitting down anywhere but Starbucks and computer labs.

Yesterday I found myself in the hot seat over something unrelated to school that I apparently forgotten. I found it was all I could do to bite my tongue instead of bite back. Afterward, my sinful, debased mind started going over possible gems of sarcastism that might have left me much lower in eyes of those people present. No, it's better to let it go. Besides the ungodliness of such a response, I should know by now that following through would only have added to the problem--as initially satisfying as it might have been.

A Concession
Last week I made an amazing concession: I watched a movie! True, the particular movie made it easier to do. I should consider myself fortunate that I am a minority among female siblings, for otherwise there might actually be movies in the house worth watching--and then where would my study time go? The movie this time was The Village. I finally got to see it again after watching it in the theater in the fall. I enjoyed it just as much or more this time. It's so good to pick up on some things and then find yourself asking more questions about it and feeling like you need to go back again--although, in this case, I don't know if I will ever make it back to it.

I'm going home now. It's a rare evening when I can do that this early (4:30).
<< Home 1 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

I'm so glad that I was able to enjoy and share the first "good" movie experience that you've had in sooooo long with you! What a lovely movie! (I say that in all sincerity)

10:51 AM, February 12, 2005  

Post a Comment